当幸福来敲门

The Pursuit of Happyness

2006 · 加布里埃莱·穆奇诺 · 传记 / 剧情

根据克里斯·加德纳的真实经历改编。1981年的旧金山,落魄的医疗器材推销员 Chris 在事业崩溃、妻子离去、无家可归的绝境中,带着五岁的儿子一路挣扎,最终通过 Dean Witter 的股票经纪人实习项目改变了命运。电影标题中 "Happyness" 的拼写错误,源自儿子托儿所墙上的涂鸦——那正是幸福尚未抵达时的样子。

第一章:搭公车

克里斯的一天从叫醒儿子起床开始。他在公车上怀抱着那台被人当作"时光机"的骨密度扫描仪四处推销,却处处碰壁。妻子琳达身兼两份班筋疲力尽,账单和罚单不断涌来。一次偶遇,一位从红色法拉利里走出的陌生人告诉他:做股票经纪人,只需要"精通数字,会做人处世"。

双语对照

Time to get up, man.
该起床了。
All right, Dad. Come on.
好的,老爸。快点。
I think I should make a list. — What do you mean? For your birthday gifts?
我想我该列个表。——干嘛?想要的生日礼物?
Yeah. I know. Just to look at and study so I can choose better.
对呀,我只想列出来看看研究一下,好好选选。
Okay, well, that's smart. Yeah, make a list.
哦,很聪明,那就列吧。
Can we go to the park today, after?
我们今天能去公园吗,上完幼儿园后?
No, I gotta go to Oakland. Well, maybe, we'll see.
呃,我还得去奥克兰。或许,再说吧。
Excuse me. When is somebody gonna clean this off? And the Y? It's an I in "happiness." There's no Y in "happiness." It's an I.
借过。什么时候找人清洗一下?还有这个Y?幸福的"幸"写错了。
I'm Chris Gardner. I met my father for the first time when I was 28 years old. And I made up my mind as a young kid that when I had children, my children were gonna know who their father was.
我是克里斯·加德纳。我第一次见到我父亲时,已经28岁了。我儿时就决定,将来我有了孩子,我的孩子一定得知道他们的父亲是谁。
This is part of my life story. This part is called "Riding the Bus."
这里讲述的是我人生故事的一部分。这部分叫做"搭公车"。
It's a time machine, isn't it? — Take me with you.
是架时光机,对吧?——能带上我吗?
It is not a time machine. It's a portable bone-density scanner. A medical device I sell for a living.
这不是时光机。这是手提式骨质密度扫描仪,是医疗器材,我就靠卖这个过活。
Thank you very much for the opportunity to discuss it with you. — We just don't need it, Chris. It's unnecessary and expensive.
谢谢您给我这个机会推介这仪器。——我们真的不需要,克里斯。没多大用处,而且还很贵。
It gave a slightly denser picture than an x-ray for twice the money.
它比X光机显像更精确一点点,但却贵了一倍。
Look, I can't get Christopher today. — Oh, no, you don't, Chris. I'm back on at 7.
我今天不能去接儿子。——你得去,我七点还要上班。
So I gotta get Christopher home, feed him, bathe him, get him in bed, and be back here by 7?
所以我得先接他回家,做饭,给他洗澡,哄他睡觉,然后七点前回到这儿?
You see that car? The one with the pretty yellow shoe on it? That's mine.
看到那车了吗?那辆穿着漂亮黄鞋子的车。那是我的车。
I needed to sell at least two scanners a month for rent and daycare. The problem is... I haven't sold any for a while.
我每个月至少得卖两台,才够付房租和幼儿园费。问题是……我很久没卖出一台了。
Since when do you not like macaroni and cheese? — Since... birth?
你什么时候开始不喜欢通心粉加奶酪的?——从……我出生开始?
What are you supposed to do with it? — Make every side the same color.
要怎么玩?——把每一面都弄成同一颜色。
Did you pay the taxes? — No, I'm gonna have to file an extension.
你付税了吗?——没,我要申请延后缴。
You already filed an extension. — Yeah, well, I gotta file another one.
你已经申请过延期了。——是,我还要再延期一次。
Man, I got two questions for you: What do you do? And how do you do it?
老兄,请教你两个问题:你是干什么的?你是怎么干的?
I'm a stockbroker.
我是股票经纪人。
Had to go to college to be a stockbroker, huh? — You don't have to. Have to be good with numbers and good with people. That's it.
得上大学才能做股票经纪人,对吧?——不用,只需要精通数字,会做人处世。就这么简单。
I still remember that moment. They all looked so damn happy to me. Why couldn't I look like that?
我还记得那一刻。他们全都看起来超幸福的样子。为什么我不能也满脸幸福?

重点词汇

make up one's mind phr.
下定决心
"I made up my mind as a young kid that..."
bone-density scanner n.
骨密度扫描仪
"It's a portable bone-density scanner."
file an extension phr.
申请延期(缴税)
"I'm gonna have to file an extension."
runaway deficit n.
失控的赤字
"We face runaway deficits of almost $80 billion."
stockbroker n.
股票经纪人
"I'm a stockbroker."
feed the meter phr.
给停车计时器投币
"I need it back for Monday. — Feed the meter."

关键句赏析

"I made up my mind as a young kid that when I had children, my children were gonna know who their father was."

影片开场的独白,奠定了全片的情感基调。Chris 从未见过自己的父亲,这段缺失成为他人生最深的动力——无论多穷多难,他绝不离开儿子。"make up my mind" 是地道的决心表达,比 "decide" 更有份量感。

"They all looked so damn happy to me. Why couldn't I look like that?"

Chris 站在街头看着从证券公司走出的人群,第一次产生了转行的念头。"so damn happy" 里的 damn 是口语加强语气词,传递出一种羡慕到发酸的真实情绪。这个画面将贯穿全片——幸福是别人脸上的表情,而他只能追。